Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fine Motor Skills Activities: Part 2

To repeat what I said during "Fine Motor Skills Activites: Part 1":
"I have been busy lately doing activities with my kids that are more learning-type activities and not as blog friendly as kids crafts. I wanted to do a series of post about fine motor skills though because that is something we have been focusing on at my house. My daughter started kindergarten this year and I spent so much time before kindergarten making sure that she knew her letters, sounds, shapes, colors, starting basic reading and site words, etc that in retrospect I didn't probably spend as much time on fine motor activities like writing her name and scissors as I should have. She is a little behind in those categories so I searched the internet for a variety of activities I could do with her that would help her fine motor skills that were fun activities and not just practicing writing letters and scissor cutting (although we do that too). I thought maybe this might be helpful for someone else in my same position. I actually made a little fine motor activities bin that we work from and she just gets to pick activities from it and the best part is she gets excited about it and doesn't know she is 'working'. "

For this activity, we did something sort of generic but it turned out to be a GREAT fine motor activity. I am a little slow at posting this since we did this before Christmas, but the same principle applies to any time of year. 

 Supplies:
-Cheap foam art kit that includes small stickers.

I actually bought these at the dollar store.I hadn't intended that putting little foam stickers on a foam tree/stocking/gingerbread man would be a fine motor activity, but it really was as they had to peel the back off of each of these little stickers.
 My daughter happened to use the tiniest pieces of stickers, which was great for her little fingers to have to focus so hard and use those tri-pod fingers (index, middle, and thumb) which are so important is doing any fine motor activity.



No comments: