Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Countdowns

Let the countdown to Christmas begin!!  I LOVE having my kids countdown to Christmas.  They love it too.  The problem with this is I have about 3 different countdown traditions we enjoy.  These are the 3 we do?  What ways do you and your family countdown to Christmas?

Christmas Tree Countdown
I bought this cute Christmas Tree at Costco about 5 years ago & have loved it ever since.  I see similar types every year for a very reasonable price.  My kids take turns opening a door everyday & adding the ornament to the tree.  By Christmas Eve you have a fully decorated tree.




Christmas Story Countdown
I honestly can't remember what friend told me about this tradition they have in their home about 2 years ago.  
I apologize to that friend too if they are reading this & you know who you are.  BUT, we LOVE this tradition.  I wrap up 24 Christmas books and starting Dec 1st my kids take turns opening one each day & we sit and read it together.  It is so much fun.  If you do not have 24 books, then check some out at the library, wrap them up first so you can return them on time.  My kids love reading familiar & not so familiar stories during this holiday season.


Candy Countdown
I don't have this exact candy countdown, but similar.  I wrap 24 pieces of candy or small prizes (very inexpensive), glue gun them to a ribbon Tie the ribbon strip to the present at the top and hang it on the wall.  It is a danish advent calendar that I grew up with as a kid.  A fun tradition from my background.  My kids each have their own.  They unwrap a treat each day & then on Christmas Eve they get a treat and a present.  The presents are usually a movie, puzzle, game, or a toy, again inexpensive.  I usually don't spend over $5 per kid.  The idea is to have a present to keep the kids occupied while the adults finish up the Christmas Eve preparations for that night. (I will get a picture up as soon as I get my kids up tonight)


No comments: