Monday, June 13, 2011

Theme of the Week: Outer Space

I have to start off my saying that I realize that my theme title isn't an appropriate title. My husband informed me that "outer space" or "deep space" is considered the space outside our galaxy and for me to teach about planets and our solar system then I have mis-titled it by saying "outer space". Having clarified that (ha ha) we will move on. :)
I have been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to be as thorough with my "theme of the week" as I would like to. So, I will just post what we did do and few ideas at least. Last week we talked about outer space.
-I found a bunch of placemats at Wal-mart awhile back that related to different themes and bought them for my themes, so each morning we used this solar system placemat at breakfast and talked about the planets.
-I didn't previously have a picture that I drew for this theme so I drew this for my girls to color. I know the moon phases seems a little advances for 3-5 year olds, but they actually were really interested in it.
(click on picture to enlarge for printing)
-We read good ole "Good Night Moon" and this other book, "100 Things you should know about SPACE" (by Miles Kelly Publishing) I had bought. I thought it was a little old for my kids, but once again they really seemed to like it and the facts that went with it.
-We used star cookie cutters to make star shaped toast at breakfast
-Sang "Twinkle, twinkle little star"
Other ideas I had but didn't get to:
-Star gaze
-Watch "Wall-E"
-Wear clothing with stars
 Additional posts about space:
 


No comments: