Monday, March 19, 2012

Homework Incentive Idea


 This idea may not seem like the most creative idea ever, but it was a relief for me to have something new to try to keep my daughter focused while doing her homework.  
My 6 year old gets frustrated and wants to stop when things get hard a lot of the time, so I was racking my brain to think of some way to try to make her homework into a game or more fun anyway.  I had all these glass decorative rocks that my husband bought for a project and didn't end up using all of.  Anyway, I decided to use them during homework time because they are shiny and something my daughter would think was fun to play with.
 
My daughter is working on reading site words and blend reading words. We had a couple pages of words she was supposed to read and I knew we weren't going to make it, so I got our container of these colorful rocks out and an empty cup and each time she read a word correctly she got to put one of the rocks into the empty glass.This would work with any kind of homework she was doing, in this case reading a word= one rock, but you could adapt it however you wanted.
 
Let me tell you, it helped. We still had one small moment of wanting to stop, but after we got passed that, with the help of these colorful rocks, not only did she finish her homework, but asked if she could do more reading. :)
 I told her that once the glass was full to the top of rocks then she could pick a piece of candy from our candy cupboard.

 
I wish I could say that I was completely above bribery, but sometimes this one of mine needs some kind of light at the end of the tunnel.  Anyway, it helped us and so I thought I would share.

No comments: